FUMC Tulsa is sponsoring and coming alongside six Afghan families as part of the U.S. Afghan Resettlement Program led by Catholic Charities. The initiative is churchwide and led by six teams from our Sunday school classes in conjunction with the entire congregation.
Our church members are currently preparing homes through refurbishment and furnishing. Below are the latest updates and links to help support this churchwide initiative.
September 16, 2021
We are now assessing housing units before they are ready for occupation. Families have begun arriving in Tulsa, and as soon as our units are ready, we will be assigned our families.
Smaller items from the needed household item list (available below) may be dropped at the Boulder Avenue welcome desk during church office hours or on Sunday morning.
- All of the Afghans coming to the United States will have passed background checks and vetting processes established by the US government; they will also be offered Covid vaccines.
- The Tulsa area has been approved for 800 individuals. Most will be families of four to six people with young children. There are a large number of moms coming alone with children. There are no unaccompanied minors.
- Repairs and clean-up of the houses
- Furnishings and household items
- The five Sunday school class teams
- A sixth team that will come forward
- Additional jobs
- Long term transportation
- The six Afghan families
- That our church body continues to look to God for guidance